Jeans are by far, one of the hardest things to shop for. With so many styles, cuts, washes and details, it can often be overwhelming finding a pair that’s just right for your body and that will enhance your best assets.
Here are some tips to help you find your perfect pair:
1. Start by shopping somewhere that has a HUGE selection of denim and get ready to try and try again…NO online shopping for this item. You can’t tell how anything will fit on a hanger or folded up on a shelf so make sure you shop on a day that you feel like trying on clothes.
2. People seem to think that designer jeans are the way to go because of the fit, but with all of the advances in denim and fabrication, you can now get those same high-end washes and styles from budget brands. As long as they fit you well, who cares? No one has to know they’re not designer.
3. If you want to avoid drawing attention to your butt, make sure you look for styles with mid to small size pockets and stay away from any kind of detailing on the rear pockets…clean and simple pockets are what you should be after. Make sure the pockets sit high and centered to give your butt an instant lift!
4. Look for a pair of jeans that have a low-rise and that sit comfortably on your hips. I know that high-waisted jeans and kind of “in”, but unless you’re a size 0-2, this style is not for you. By reducing the amount of material between the top of the jean and the bottom of your butt, it will make your rear look smaller and more compact.
5. Make lycra your best friend. I can’t express how important it is to find a pair of jeans that have lycra in them…especially if you’re pear shaped. This wonder-farbric will not only help you fit both the largest and smallest part of you, but it will hug all of your curves in all the right places and suck in the rest of the not-so-right places.
6. The longer the better. Make sure that your jeans are long enough to wear with your highest pair of heels. Ever wonder why model’s look so good in their jeans? It’s because they have mile-long legs and by wearing your jeans long, you create the illusion of height- even if you’re only 5’1″ like me.
7. The darker the better. I always prefer dark washes to light ones. They look more expensive and more importantly, will make you look thinner than their lighter counterparts. But be careful to wash them inside out in cold water or if you can afford it, dry clean them so that you don’t lose an ounce of that rich dark denim color.
8. If you’re looking for skinny jeans, keep in mind that they don’t have to be “super-skinny” and sometimes even a straight-leg (see left) will do the trick. Stay away from the ones that bunch around your ankles, which tend to have really small leg openings (less than 12″). When skinnies are too tapered at the bottom, they can make you look wider than you really are by accentuating the difference in width from your hips to your ankles.
Where to look:
Old Navy: Prices from $19.99- $34.50
Forever 21: Prices from $12.50-$32.90
Macy’s (Juniors Department): Prices from $24.98